Re: dataguard and firewall

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 23:56:41 +0200

Hi Deen,
Data Guard only needs SQL*Net to keep the standby database up-to-date. So, the SQL*Net port you choose for your DG connection needs to go past the FireWall.

Sending the data to the standby initially is a job I do typically through scp. So, a port for an ssh connection would be helpful too. This isn't something you do just once, a re-instantiation can be necessary after a failover, or even be more feasible than letting the standby catch up after it has been down for a long while.

Then there is the phenomena of ssh port forwarding. Setting up a tunnel through ssh can give you the advantage of compression, speeding up your connection, depending on the type of redo forwarding you use: ASYNC it might help, SYNC it probably won't. Furthermore, you only need the ssh port to pass the firewall, the SQL*Net ports are tunneled through the ssh connection. There are some nice papers on this topic on OTN/Metalink.

So, not a final answer, but I hope it points you in the right direction.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===