Re: automating session killing and thread

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:50:21 -0400

On 6/9/05, Greg Norris <spikey.mcmarbles_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps assigning an idle-timeout in the user profile(s) would be easier?

>=20

> On 6/9/05, Onkar N Tiwary <onkarnath.tiwary_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > hi oracle gurus,
> > I am running oracle 8i(8.1.7.4.0.0) on windows 2000 adv.server ( 2 ser=
ve=3D
> > is in remote area). Everyday in the morning I used to find hell a lot o=
> > INACTIVE users of last day. So I had to kill their sessions and then ki=
ll
> > their threads using ORAKILL. My question is:
> > 1) Do anyone has got the script to kill the threads automatically?=3D2=
0

Greg,

(speaking in terms of Oracle 8i R3 and 9i R2 on win32)

Idle-timeout in the user's profile only "SNIPE"s a session, it doesn't kill=  it.
The user is notified that the session was killed after they attempt to make another call. If the user does not make another call in that session, the session does not get killed, hence another method is required to perform garbage collection.

This is even more fun with regard to shared server configurations.

In a related matter, dead_connection_detection was supposed to work in the 9.2.0.5 patchset, but I don't believe that it did.

Fundamentally, having user shadow processes as threads under the oracle.exe process prevents the use of timers as there is a limit of 16 timers per process.

I haven't checked to see if the functionality in 10g R1 is there yet but will do so this week.

Paul