Re: Where are these table stats coming from?

From: Barbara Baker <barb.baker_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:46:36 -0600

Thanks, Connor and Wolfgang!
I did not know this.

My tests look like Connor's (in my 9.2..0.4 database) If a table does not have stats, some statistical information is updated for that table if you compute statistics on an index.=20 num_rows and blocks appear to be correct. avg_row_len is set to 100.=20 Some other columns look like they're zero-filled (empty_blocks, avg_space, chain_cnt, avg_space_freelist_blocks, num_freelist_blocks.)

If the table DOES have stats, computing statistics on the index does NOT overwrite the statistics (at least in my tests). It does, however, update the last_analyzed column.

Guess I need to be more careful of the order of my steps when I move tables and indexes!!

Barb