RE: polyserve and oracle 10g

From: Scott <oraracdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:17:05 -0700 (PDT)

Chris, You can't use Linux and Unix together when it comes to unbreakable.

Unbreakable implies Oracle will support you from the Oracle right on down to the OS, whereas Solaris, AIX, HP/UX and OpenVMS OS support is still done by the vendor who produces the OS. Linux is open source and Oracle is trying to provide a 1 stop shop so you will get support from Oracle right on down to the OS. However getting unbreakable support requires you to follow a strict set of rules, which is hard to come by from most vendors except Dell. Dell drops a stock Kernel with Oracle pre-installed ( if you want) and you have to survive the consequences from there. If you have to modify the kernel in any way shape or form then you could be invalidating the unbreakable support from Oracle. This basically means you will get Oracle support but if the problem is determined to be OS or storage related and you did any modifications to the linux kernel then you will have to go to the vendor for help. This includes polyserve, Veritas and Sistina or the vendor whos rpm may have modified the kernel.

The bottom line is you will get Oracle support you until it is determined that problem is OS or storage related outside the unbreakable rules.

Hope this helps,

Scott

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/linux/htdocs/oracleonlinux_faq.html#6
> >> Oracle will continue to support Oracle products
> on the certified Linux distributions.
>

> Chris Marquez
> Oracle DBA
> C-(703)507-1421