Re: Slow Database Shutdown Time

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 09:40:55 -0500

Chris - My guess is that the problem does not lie with SQL*Net, but with Oracle tidying up all the session information. You could test this by killing sessions on the server and see if the database shuts down faster.

A topic that has previously been discussed on this list is what Naveen mentions, namely shutdown abort, followed by a startup and a normal shutdown. Some sites have had a normal shutdown immediate hang for extended periods of time. There were rumors that in earlier versions of Oracle there were some issues with shutdown abort, but recent Oracle versions don't seem to have that problem.

Dennis Williams