RMAN Duplicate database

From: Scott Stefick <sstefick_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 09:21:41 -0500

I'm getting ready to test an RMAN Duplicate Database script. I've never done this before and I'm looking to see if I understand this correctly before I run the test.

I'm on Solaris 8 and Oracle 10g. I'm duplicating from one server to another. They are both the same version and have the same directory structure. I'll call the DB's TRGT and AUX to be generic.

I created the initAUX.ora pfile on the auxiliary server The directory structure is exactly the same The RMAN Hotbackup is copied to the auxiliary server The archive logs are all copied to the auxiliary server

Here is my syntax:

run {
allocate auxiliary channel aux1 device type disk; duplicate target database to aux
nofilenamecheck;
}

Is this correct? Or will it overwrite what is on my target database?

Thanks in advance,