Re: LMT Autoallocate initial, tot # of extents

From: Barbara Baker <barb.baker_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 11:16:28 -0600

Thanks, Jared! I missed that ref in the archives. It looks like exactly what's happening to me.

However, in my research, I saw references that lead me to believe there might be some way to change the behavior. From a Tom Kyte column "LMT's take the initial,next, minextents, pctincrease to figure out how much to initially allocate and allocate that much. . . . . =20 if you start empty and grow -- it'll adjust. If you say "give me big", it'll start big"

and this one from Jonathan Lewis: "normal behaviour pattern is 16 x 64K extents before switching to 1mb extents, but if you're importing large objects with a large 'initial' size, or if your DDL requests a large initial size, then Oracle can skip the smaller size extents and leap straight in to 1mb, or even 1m extents."

In either case, I can't see how to "make it big"

Thx.

Barb