Re: Oracle RAC cost justification?

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 22:56:02 -0600

SMP (a.k.a. "symmetric multiprocessing") actually exists in only one platform -- IBM. That's why it only scales to 32 CPUs, because the problem is connections. You can only connect so many CPUs to the same memory. But they are all "equi-distant" from any address in memory.

Other platforms are actually closer to what used to be called NUMA (a.k.a. "non-uniform memory access"), because CPUs and RAM are clustered together on boards that communicate over a bus, thus causing some memory to be "closer" to some CPUs than other. If a CPU wants info from memory address XXX, then perhaps that is available on the same board, no need to go over the bus. However, if that same CPU wants info from memory address YYY, then perhaps that is on another board, so we have to go across the bus to the other board. Sun and HP architectures fall into this category, even though both are commonly referred to as "SMP" as well.

So, you are correct that scaling does not occur linearly in such NUMA architectures. Most likely it does not occur in "true SMP" architectures either. But I don't think that there is any argument that either SMP or NUMA scales much more effectively than RAC/OPS, is there?

Thus, you are correct that RAC/OPS has a place. Less on platforms like Sun, HP, and IBM than on platforms like Linux and Windows, though...