Re: Question on JDBC

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:41:20 +0100

On 6/1/05, Hollis, Les <Les.Hollis_at_ps.net> wrote:
> Does a JDBC connection use ODBC in any way?

My understanding is that it depends which JDBC driver you use. There is a JDBC-ODBC bridge which just acts as a link between the Java and the ODBC supplier on the machine (therefore requires an ODBC connection to pre-exist), there's a JDBC-OCI driver which connects the Java to the Oracle Calls Interface (therefore needs the TNS settings and Net8/SQL*Net to pre-exist) and there's a JDBC-Thin driver which contains the Net8/SQL*Net code within it and will connect directly to the database without needing ODBC or Net8/SQL*Net set up on the box.

I've only ever used the JDBC-Thin driver and do know from using it that it is possible to connect from a machine without any Oracle client software (other than the JDBC classes file) installed and without any ODBC setup.

Stephen

--=20