Re: For those who have installed 9i on RedHat EL4

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 02:08:35 -0400

On 6/1/05, Janine Sisk <janine_at_furfly.net> wrote:
> I recently did this install, and my sys admin says that ever since he
> installed that long list of compat RPMs for me the up2date database on
> this system has been fubar'd and he can no longer install anything via
> up2date. He is very peeved and seems to think that this is somehow my
> fault. :)

>=20

> Has this happened to anyone else? If so, did you figure out how to fix
> it? He says he has tried the directions RedHat gives for rebuilding
> the database but it didn't help, so he thinks that one or more of the
> RPMs was bad in some way.
>=20

> thanks,

>=20
> janine

Janine,

the 10g install did not require any compatibility .rpms. IIRC, gcc and others were moved and symbolic links were created to the older (e.g. 2.96) versions.

In checking here: http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml block quote:

"Relink gcc so that the older gcc will be used during the Oracle installation (see Oracle Note:252217.1 for more information):

su - root
mv /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcc323
ln -s /usr/bin/gcc296 /usr/bin/gcc
mv /usr/bin/g++ /usr/bin/g++323 # if g++ doesn't exist, then gcc-c++ was not installed
ln -s /usr/bin/g++296 /usr/bin/g++"

so here the names of the files have been changed.

hth.

Paul