Re: RAC configuration Sun Cluster v. Veritas

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:41:49 -0600

Steve,

You've narrowed it down quite nicely in your requirements. You mentioned "either Oracle9i or 10g", and that is the key ambiguity, so to speak.

On 10g RAC, you have the choice of the following clustering options:

On 9i RAC, you have the following clustering options:

The Veritas solution is the only option common to both 9i and 10g, providing a CFS (clustered file system) in both environments. Note also that using Sun Cluster for Solaris 8 or 9 still requires Veritas clustered volume manager, so when you're on 9i RAC, you've got no choice but to invite Veritas to the party, even if using Sun Cluster.

Sun just introduced a clustered volume manager of its own (Solaris volume mgr or SVM) and a clustered file system (QFS) with Solaris 10, whilst SFRAC (formerly DBE/AC) has been out and about for several years, and is on its third major release (i.e. 3.5, 4.0, 4.1). Similarly to Sun's SVM and QFS, this is the "dot-oh" release of Oracle's clustering option.

Hope this helps...

-Tim