Re: Data Guard question.

From: Sten Rognes <rognes_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 20:11:42 -0700

On May 27, 2005, at 12:37 PM, Ron Rogers wrote:

> 2. Currently I use RMAN nocatalog mode for the backups of the
> production =
> database to disk. It appears from what I have read the when I use
> RMAN and =
> Data Guard I have to use a catalog. IS this a true fact? Can you
> point to =
> a doc that clears this question up?

If you run RMAN against your standby database and want to be able to use the backup to recover your primary you need the catalog. There are no other way for the primary to "know" about the backups created on the standby. As long as you're running RMAN on the primary you are fine running nocatalog.
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/ rcmbackp.htm#446035

Sten

Sten Rognes
Berkeley, CA