Re: OT: Adv Perl Book Update

From: mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 20:15:28 -0400

Hi,

On 5/27/05, Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com> wrote:
> Thursday, May 26, 2005, 11:38:48 PM, mhthomas (qnxodba_at_gmail.com) wrote:
> m> Does anyone have advance knowledge about this?
> m> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/advperl2/

>=20

> m> New version due next month?
>=20

> What, in particular, would you like to know about it?
>=20
Thanks for the reply, Jonathan.

The first two items "Complex data structures" and "Parsing" are in both versions, both topics are relevant to me. What kind of changes have been implemented for existing sections?

The sort of knowledge I'm seeking is similar to Mladen's query. Is the new author adding new content (mostly), or updating outdated content to some new versions of perl, or simply adding his/her 2 cents worth of new topics and the rest is essentially unchanged (not that it needed much change).

I'm trying to get a feel for the book because an advanced book is not the kind of book to buy without either seeing it on the shelf first or getting a good recommendation from a credible source. On a slightly different topic, I'm not a big fan of publisher's republishing articles that have been previously published and calling that a book (there are some perl examples in black and yellow, and other types in red). :-)

I thought by asking here we might share what to look for first, and then I can browse for tidbits that I enjoy and thereby buy the book. Otherwise, its a small project to compare the new/old versions and vet a purchase decision on my own.

HTH Regards,

Mike Thomas