RE: Interesting problem

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 14:22:13 -0700

Mladen,

I think you are confusing V$SQL and V$SQLAREA - only the latter requires a SORT since it is a GROUP BY on V$SQL. It is true though that the lib cache latch needs to be taken for access to either. If Quest Spotlight goes against V$SQLAREA, then they really don't know what they are doing. I also believe that read consistency if provided for _some_ V$ views and not for some others.

The query below goes against V$SQLAREA, but may be worth trying:

select n.piece, n.sql_text, s.disk_reads, s.buffer_gets, s.rows_processed,

s.sorts, s.version_count, s.loaded_versions, s.open_versions,
s.users_opening, s.executions,
s.users_executing, s.first_load_time, s.parse_calls
from v$sqltext n, v$sqlarea s
where s.address = n.address
and s.hash_value = n.hash_value
and (n.address, n.hash_value) in
 ( select address, hash_value from (select s1.address, s1.hash_value from v$sql s1 order by disk_reads desc)
 where rownum < 10)
order by n.address, n.hash_value, n.piece;

Hth,
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)