RE: FW: backing up rman catalog for disaster recovery

From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 03:02:16 -0700 (PDT)

I agree that an RMAN scripted backup controlfile is not useful, but configuring RMAN controlfile autobackup does help:

  1. You then don't have to include a copy command (internal or external) for you controlfile as RMAN does it for you automatically.
  2. The filename of the autobackup contains both the date and the database ID in a human readable format.

To get your controlfile back (without needing a catalog) you just need to do

RMAN> restore controfilefile from '<name of autobackup file>';

---

>>I just cheated and backed up the control file separately

"Cheat" nothing this is just smart...or reality :o|

>> run {allocate channel c4 type disk; copy current controlfile to...

>> in my shell script *every* time and AT THE END OF EACH BACKUP

>> NOT an RMAN *backup* of my controlfile (totally useless),

>> but rather a *COPY* of my controlfile.

>> Meaning it can be used without RMAN;

As I said in an earlier post, RMAN backup controlfile (IMHO) is rather useless.

It is the classic "chicken and egg".

You have a controlfile in the RMAN backup, but you need a current controlfile to get to the backup! (in the absence of a recover catalog). If I have a current controlfile then why do I need the one *in* the backup?

Oracle should update the RMAN documentation it indicate thsi mental puzzle.

Seems everyone learns this the hard way during testing...or the really hard way during a disaster.

Anyone want to guess...

What would be of some use when all current controlfiles and datafiles are lost and you have >1 good RMAN backups? (A worst case senario).

Chris Marquez

Oracle DBA