Re: 10g System statistics - single and multi

From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 00:52:59 -0700 (PDT)

Wolfgang,

Thanks for your valuable answers.

I need to agree with you.

I believe that not all of 10,000 tables used in SAP are used with FTS :)
Also other timing details may be per
tablespace/datafile - this is collected somehow anyway.

But to come back to the fact that I agree with you. Oracle knows for defficiencies in their optimizer for a sure.

As you said the main problems are:
1. No knowledge about the cacheability of some objects - the fact that every data block is disk read is ugly (if we forget OIC parameter)
2. The cardinality errors may be 100 and not just a few times different because of many things leading to the catastrophy

On top of these miscalculations is your point that the groan system statistics are minor problem. Ugly to say when even you agreed that system statistics may cause 2-10 times discrepancies.

At the end Oracle was thinking pragmatic: - many SQL statements will perform well no metter what - not all SQL statements are too complex or too unfriendly to the current optimizer
- only a few SQL's will need the attention in every system

Then, why we just not provide SQL Profile and Automatic tuning management system that will lead our customers to do next:
- efficiently fix the main problems that are in most cases a small percentage of overall SQL's - you will need to pay us for a such facility that is much better then tools like index advisor or such is on the market

It looks that SQL Profiles is the best and very intelligent way to Oracle to fill optimizer gaps whith possible the best cost effective method to just add the new code and not breaking what is working already. They caluclated that filling all fallacies of the optimizer to cover 1% of crazy nasty SQL's that are with new SQL syntax nastier and nastier is going to be ugly task. Why we just not do the things that consultants are doing with smart hinting if needed, executing things, looking missing statistics, comparing the execution stats with estimated, knowing the cacheability of the data/indexes, ....

I need to say that this is very focused and very smart method, as you said they figure it out probably from IBM, LEO and did it their way.

At the end we want easy and nice way to fix bad SQL and we do not care how Oracle is going to do it. If SQL Profiles are way to go then great, because it is smart, the tuning by the feedback.

Regards,
Zoran

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new Resources site http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/