RE: duplicate command to clone database to another host

From: Ruth Gramolini <rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 15:28:16 -0400

Paula,

Use this sql against the rman schema in the recovery catalog database: select max(to_char(completion_time,'YYYY-MM-DD:hh24:mi:ss')) from RMAN.rc_backup_datafile where db_name='YOUR_DB';

If you aren't using a recovery catalog use the system logs to find out the end time of the backup. Then use this time plus 1 second to account for the fractions of a second, to determine the proper until time. Then use a set until time clause in your duplicate script as shown in O_H/rdbms/demo/case4.rcv.

The archivelogs will only be backed up if you tell rman to do so. Here are my 2 backup statements: the first does the db backup and the second backups the archivelogs (after a build in switch log) and deletes the input if successful.

backup incremental level 0
( database include current controlfile );

backup ( archivelog all delete input );

As you can see, I use incremental level 0 instead of a full backup. This allows a point in time recovery or duplicate.

I hope this helps, if not, let me know. I may be able to help more. Call me if you want - 802-828-5708.

Yours,
Ruth