Re: 10g System statistics - single and multi

From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 22:43:22 -0700 (PDT)

Christo,

As Wolfgang nicely explained to you it is hard to me to accept that Oracle will go that deep to think that some single block read (SBR) is random or "sequential".
No way Oracle is going to play this game because the head on the disk(s) are who knows where, your "sequential" requests on the I/O sub queue(s) are who knows how apart one from each other.

The only game Oracle is playing is to find out the effective MBRC, the speed of MBR and the speed of SBR to use the formula Oracle put bravely in 9i Tuning Guide while smartly removing it from 10g Tuning Guide.

The only thing Oracle is aware is all the good/crap things he knows about his buffer cache and how long some disk I/O related waits took.
At the moment I have never seen such a good relationship between Oracle and I/O subsystem suppliers to merge statistics and have better controlled environemnt.
Oracle is doing what it can and not even considering such a variety of I/O subsystems and OS caching layers.

At the end why would Oracle play that hard game when simple MBR and SBR timing is good enough to do good predictions, of course only when you have system statistics collected properly.

Oracle will maybe evolve into having system statistics per object or at least per file/disk. That will be much better to use then global system statistics about MBR and SBR.

Regards,
Zoran Martic

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone. http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail