aborting a SQL script based upon DB name

From: Greg Norris <spikey.mcmarbles_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 08:49:33 -0500

I was recently asked how to setup a SQL script, to ensure that it aborts if accidentally run on the wrong database. The scriptlet below is what I came up with... it seems to work just fine, but got me curious about alternate approaches. Anyone care to share a substitute, or comment on the futility of life in general? ;-)

declare

   dbname global_name.global_name%TYPE; begin

   select global_name into dbname

      from global_name;

   if dbname !=3D 'LVLSDP' then

      raise_application_error(-20001,'I pity ''da fool who connects to ''da wrong database!!!');

   end if;
end;
/

--=20

"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred.
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu May 19 2005 - 09:54:13 CDT