Re: Fasten huge index rebuild - How To ?

From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 05:20:06 -0700 (PDT)

Would you tell us on which database event you are spending the majority of the time?

There are many scenarious there that can lead to slow index build.

One of these is inappropriate level of parallelism. I assume you have 8 CPU's on that test machine?

Usual suspects are log file sync - you can try to use NOLOGGING option together with PARALLEL.

I also believe that the machines and databases where you did the test are comparable. Correct?

operations with CLOB may cause also slow index building.

When you find the root cause for you slow index creation we will easier help you.

Regards,
Zoran Martic

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search. http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250