Fasten huge index rebuild - How To ?

From: Prem Khanna J <premjhere_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 16:37:33 +0530

Hi All ,

One of my collegue has got a problem on index rebuilds.

**

We have a table of 35 partitions with a CLOB column amount to about 350G of data. Based on the timing for the domain index creation on the CLOB column in development database with smaller data volume using parallel degree of 8, I extrapolated (development database is on a much smaller box and I used linear extrapolation) that it will take ~53 hours to create the same index in production database, which is not feasible to do even in a weekend. Are you aware of any "divide and conquer" or any methods we can explore to create the index in much less time so that it is feasible to accomplish in a weekend? From your experiences on other applications, What do other people/application do if they have a huge index and it gets corrupt and needs to be rebuilt and the rebuild time normally takes days? Index online rebuild will not help us because the domain index needs to be finished completely so that our BREAK generation job can access the index by key word search.

DB blocksize is 8k. Will use of larger tablespace or sections reduce rebuild time? What about future guards against index loss? Any other thoughts?
**

Any idea and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Prem J