Re: 10g System statistics - single and multi

From: Christo Kutrovsky <kutrovsky.oracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 16:15:15 -0400

Ah !=20

I know understand the flaw of your test OR the flaw of my understanding for sread vs mread.

before i start.

>I don't quite understand how to read this. what does, e.g., "8k read-1"
>mean as opposed to "8k read-4"?

8k read-1 - request 1 io, wait for answer, request 1 io, wait for answer...=  etc.
8k read-4 - request 4 ios, wait for 1 io answer and send another request... etc. In such away, that there would be always 4 pending IO requests.

Basically async IO. In the Oracle world, that would be multiple sessions doing IO. Or the dbwriter with asyncIO enabled.

The problem with our discussion is our assumptions.

My assumption:
sread =3D "db file sequencial read" =3D Random IO from say, an INDEX range scan accessing the table. (not the range scan itself, as on a freshly rebuild index, the range scan will be almost sequencial IO, but the table access will probably be random IO)

mread =3D "db file scattered read" =3D sequencial IO =3D Full table scan or full index scan.

Your assumption (i could be wrong, i concluded that this is your assumption based on the test you are doing, and the timings you were observing)
sread =3D single block access, could be resulting from a dfmrc been 1. I.e. could be either RANDOM or SEQUENCIAL IO. mread =3D sequencial IO with dfmrc > 1

Basically your test shows the benefit of uding dfmrc, and shows how even at the last step, doubling from 64 to 128, the time increases only 1.88 times, i.e. still some benefit from large reads.

My tests however, show disk times of RANDOM access. Which is very different, from your tests, which test disk times of SEQUENCIAL access, with different IO sizes.

Makes sense ?

--=20
Christo Kutrovsky
Database/System Administrator