Re: 10g System statistics - single and multi

From: Christo Kutrovsky <kutrovsky.oracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 14:25:21 -0400

Wolfgang,

I will have to repeat this test on my system. What was your OS and file system ? linux and ext3 does not have directio support. It also has poor default read-ahead parameters.

"...on average it should take the same amount of time to position ..." If you were to do 1 x dfmrc randomly, then yes mread would always be > sread. But you are doing this sequencially. Thus only the 1st read would involve positioning the heads, after that, every subsequent read would not include that time. Every so often, there would be some time to move the head to next track, but this time is far less then a full seek time. That is, of course, assuming no other disk activity. Or minor activity.

Unfortunelly the test 10g system I have is not yet on the SAN i am testing.

I am using RedHat linux and ASM (i.e. using directio)

These results have been produced with Windows (for convenience) on unpartitioned drives with iometer (www.iometer.org). No caching on OS side.

Random read from my SAN
Test type Responce time (ms)

512 read-1=090.874
512 read-2=090.173
512 read-4=090.130
8k read-1=090.457

8k read-2=090.149
8k read-4=090.228
32k read-1=090.422
32k read-2=090.388
32k read-4=090.762
256k read-1=092.165

256k read-2=092.672
256k read-4=095.185

I dont have the 512K reads saved. The number after the test is outstanding IOs. (read async or multiple sessions active).

And the random values are:

512 read RAND-1=09252.949
512 read RAND-2=0979.780
512 read RAND-4=097.537
8k read RAND-1=096.376

8k read RAND-2=096.978
8k read RAND-4=098.375
32k read RAND-1=097.193
32k read RAND-2=098.399
32k read RAND-4=0911.864
256k read RAND-1=091.331

256k read RAND-2=0915.278
256k read RAND-4=0927.275

Yes, the SAN has cache, and I've seen the effect of the cache. The way this test works is it starts the test, runs for ~10sec and then starts recording the results over 60 seconds.

I've also retested with the cache disabled. The effect is that read speed drops whith 1 outstanding io, but quickly reaches the non-cached speeds with multiple outstanding IOs.

I dont fully understand the numbers from your test.

Say 1st line:
dfmrc =3D 1
ELA for single multiblock (1 in this case) read =3D 539 micro seconds ? Or total ELA time for your test ?

--=20
Christo Kutrovsky
Database/System Administrator
The Pythian Group