Re: RMAN, v$session_longops and Ora-03113

From: Tim Onions <att755_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 17:51:25 +0100

Jared

RMAN uses v$session_longops to record it's progress. After each backup set it uses the DBMS package to update "progress" in the V$ view, having first queried out of the view to find some relevant data within . So when the view goes "bad" RMAN does its initial backup set/piece, trys to update v$session_longops and subsequently gets an Ora-03113 error and dies. Hence, the backup "fails" inasmuch as it did not run to completion. I reality we get less than 10% of our Db backed-up when this problem is in force.

The query RMAN runs (and gets ora-03113 from) is:

select sofar, context from v$session_longops where sid = (select distinct sid from v$mystat) and opname like 'RMAN:%' order by start_time desc, context desc

Hope this is clear

Winks & nudges are here - download MSN Messenger 7.0 today! http://messenger.msn.co.uk