RE: After Dataguard failover not able to make switchover back

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:41:03 -0400

Peter,
I think I follow your email, but I don't see the error you refer to nor do I have the exact answer, but rather a suggestion;

>> I have a problem that the switchover fails because >> the standby says there is incomplete recovery

I would suggest taking the DG/Standby concept out of the equation for a bit. Any database the can be RESTORED & RECOVER (complete) to another server *can* be made a STANDBY DATABASE, agreed?

I try would manually RECOVER the new database (old primary)...I believe you have less of a DG/Standby issue and more of a Recovery issue!?

Something like this;

SQL>RECOVER DATABASE USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE UNTIL CANCEL;

SQL><RET>/[Enter]

SQL><RET>/[Enter]

SQL>CANCEL

!!!NEVER TO OPEN THE DATABASE NOR OPEN RESETLOGS!!! You should be able to do this over and over again...ftp'ing logs from your (new) primary to old primary where the database is waiting to accept additional recovery. If you can to this you should be fine.

You could also and I would try to Recover manually as a STANDBY DATABASE

SQL NOMOUNT STANDBY DATABASE

startup nomount pfile='/.../pfile/init.ora'

ALTER DATABASE MOUNT STANDBY DATABASE;

SQL MANUAL RECOVERY STANDBY DATABASE

SQL>RECOVER STANDBY DATABASE;

SQL><RET>/[Enter]

SQL><RET>/[Enter]

SQL>CANCEL

Again, if you can manually Recover over and over and at any time then you should be able to use this database as a STANDBY DATABASE...if you can not recover manually then you have a Restore and Recovery problem for sure.

hth

Chris Marquez