Re: 10g System statistics - single and multi

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 15:07:51 -0600

Christo,

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. The value of MBRC does not factor into the decision whether to use the new cost formula or not. It is mreadtm which needs to be greater than sreadtm for the new cost formula (and cpu costing, at least in 9i) to be used. Only then does the MBRC value factor in.

And I just realized that it misquoted the cost for a FTS under the new flrmula. It is of course

  cost(FTS) = #blocks/MBRC * MREADTM / SREADTM

I suppose the optimizer developers chose to ignore the system statistics if they look suspicious and from their point of view mreadtm has to be greater than sreadtm and if it is not they ignore the entire thing. Of course, that could change at any time. Until then you need to check the values of your gathered system statistics for mreadtm > sreadtm.

--
Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation