RE: backup up archivelogs

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 22:39:16 +0200

Paula,
Your site screams for a proper DR risk inventory. IMHO, decisions about HA limitations are the responsibility of your management. Of course, mgmt cannot decide if not provided with the right data, to make their trade-off.

Most important parameters are:

- time to recover
- max data loss (measured in time, # of transactions)
- possible problems and their connected values of the above
- cost of the problems (probably not to be estimated by you)
- cost of the countermeasures

I'd start with a risk / countermeasure matrix. The credit for this idea goes to Ally McIntyre, a DBA at a Data Guard customer of mine. Write down any problem you can think of (powerfailure, serverfailure, storage-failure, whatever). These are the rows. Write down your coutermeasures, all of them. For any problem, check the box where the countermeasure helps to overcome the problem. In the last column, write the description how this helps, what the limitations are, etc. When you are finished, start over. I use to have a problem for every solution. Otherwise, Murphy will take care of it. It's all about outsmarting Murphy. In the end, estimate the cost of the countermeasures and the outages/datalosses connected to the problems.

Now management can decide, not you. You will have to explain, to assist, but mgmt. is responsible. Of course there are risks that have to be left open, due to budget restrictions. That's normal. But you better let mgmt. decide about that, in stead of forgetting them. If YOU forget the risks, YOU will be blamed when the accident happens.

Now you are focusing on archive logs, but there are many, many other problems. High Availability should not be technology driven, but requirement driven. Collect the requirements of the business, show them the cost to fulfill them. You're in government, but essentially there's no difference.

My favorite (real-life) example is the site that had UPS's, Generators, Fuel, redundant datacenter, everything. At a major city-wide power aotage everything was fine. UPS did it's work, gemeratir took over, perfect. Until after about an hour the temperature in the server-room raised: it appeared that the airco's weren't connected to the generator. The CEO himself took the windowpanes out their frames, to keep the temperature at an acceptable level.

HTH Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===