RE: Remotely stopping an Oracle 10g instance on window 2000

From: Grant Allen <Grant.Allen_at_towersoft.com.au>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 09:41:06 +1000

> Dear List,

>=20

> I have been an Oracle DBA\Developer solely on Unix platforms=20
> and have now
> inherited the task of administering a new Oracle 10g instance=20
> on a Windows
> 2k server. We are using backup exec to do weekly cold backups=20
> and wanted to
> know how to remotely stop and start the database from the=20
> backup server. I
> have attempted using sc and net start/stop to remotely stop=20
> the services
> without success. With sc I get
>=20

> C:\>d:\sc \\oratest stop oracleservicedw
> [SC] ControlService FAILED, rc =3D 1051
>=20
> I cannot find a definition of what rc=3D1051 means.

Ah, the joys of windoze. Admin Sanity lesson #5001: "What the F*&^ does = that error mean?". Answer: net helpmsg

c:\> net helpmsg 1051

  A stop control has been sent to a service that other running services = are dependent on.

Mystery revealed. Check your other Oracle services on the windoze box = ... ClientCache, Cman, Cmanadmin, Agent, etc. to see which depend on the = instance's service, and stop those first. Then your 1051 error should = disappear. Once sanity has returned, swap in a copy of CentOS, RHEL or = SLES while no one's watching, and place bets to see how soon it will be = noticed. I'd say at least six months :-)

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)