Re: shrink a raw veritas volume (with an oracle datafile on it naturally)

From: mkb <mkb125_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 05:52:07 -0700 (PDT)

I'll bite.

Apparently I tried this on Veritas volume manager about 4 years ago on an index tablespace on a raw Veritas volume. While it seemed to work, I checked with an experienced sys admin and he immediately tried to strangle me over the phone. He said that this is definitely not supported. A raw volume cannot be resized. The proper way to do so was to drop the volume itself and recreate it.

He asked me to drop the index and re-boot. Fortunately things came up clean. I was able to drop the volume and rebuild a new volume.

But in short, what I've been told is that this is not a supported operation.

--
mohammed

Discover Yahoo! Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online and more. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/ -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l