RMAN, v$session_longops and Ora-03113

From: Tim Onions <att755_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:23:28 +0100

8.1.7.4.18 under Windows 2000 sp4 using Veritas Netbackup (Apologies if this did get posted already but I received a failure notification so I assumed it had not.)

Dear All

We are seeing far more regular issues with v$session_longops causing a ORA-03113 when you try and select from it since we upgraded to the terminal release of 8.1.7 and at roughly the same time moved from Tivoli to Veritas for our RMAN backup back-end.

Metalink says fixed in 9.2 which we will go to in due course but not for a few more months (I know we should be there already but....). Other than that it says you have to bounce your DB which we can only do at weekends - so if the problem occurs on a Monday we are without backups all week.

I would like to know if anybody has any knowledge of what causes v$session_longops to go "bad" (so I can avoid it), or how to work around it when it is bad (Metalink says try setting hash_joins_enable FALSE but that does not work for me). I see one backport request for a fix in Metalink but nothing to say it ever got done or if so for my platform (probably not as I rasied a TAR and they denied any existance of a backport) - so any knowledge of a backport would be appreciated too.

Many thanks

Tim Onions - Oracle DBA

Winks & nudges are here - download MSN Messenger 7.0 today! http://messenger.msn.co.uk