Re: Make EXPIRED RMAN backup set UNAVAILABLE?

From: Vitalis Jerome <vitalisman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:27:09 +0200

Hi Bob,

> So, does anyone know if it's possible to make an EXPIRED RMAN backupset
> AVAILABLE in the RMAN repository database if the backupset files are no
> longer on the system?

It is not possible from rman because the need should never arise (as you realized, deleting the sets at the OS level and crosschecking in rman in not the way to go when you want to mark sets as temporarily missing: flag UNAVAILABLE should be used in such cases)

Nonetheless I think you can mark them back to UNEXPIRED by using the package dbms_backup_restore. Open a TAR because it is undocumented. Procedures CHANGEBACKUPSET ou CHANGEBACKUPPIECE should do the trick.

>And can anyone confirm that this CHANGE BACKUPSET
> AVAILABLE functionality changed from 8i to 9i? If it did change, why
> would they have changed it to physically check for the backupset when it
> did not before?

I can't tell you about that.

Regards
Jerome