Re: Shrinking PGA of snp processes

From: Christo Kutrovsky <kutrovsky.oracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 17:09:51 -0400

I am alraedy using _smm_max_size and _pga_max_size to increase the sizes. smm is 5 gb, _pga_max_size (per process limitation) is 8 gb,

Using manual, you can only go to 2gb-1 byte. And we still want the benefit of automatic memory manamgement, if too many big queries run at the same time.

And you get much better "eyes" to see what's using sort/hash memory and how much with automatic pga.

I cover the technique in:

http://www.pythian.com/documents/Working_with_Automatic_PGA.ppt

Let me know if you have any comments/criticism to add.

On 5/13/05, Tanel P=F5der <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee> wrote:
> Hi Christo,

>=20
> What's the _smm_max_size value for your session? It states the max workar=
ea
> size for a serial session in kB (and defaults to 5% of
> pga_aggregate_target).

>=20

> But if you want so big PGA memory areas, it might be worth using manual
> workarea for those sessions anyway...
>=20

> Tanel.
>=20