RE: 10g rac backup

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 14:01:14 -0700

Hi Randy,

Oracle 10g allows you to write your backups to the Flash Recovery Area by default, _wherever_ it may be. I believe the docs do NOT say that the FRA needs to be an ASM disk (if so, can you point out where they say that?). Are you using ASM for your data/other files? The FRA _can_ be a shared filesystem btw - just make sure that you set a reasonable value for db_recovery_file_dest_size (default 2 Gb), taking into account all other uses of FRA (Flashback database, logs, archive logs (by default), as well as RMAN). I see that you copied in IOUG-RAC SIG - Wondering how the traffic is over there (and our old buddy Murali Vallath).

Hope this helps,
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)