Any ideas for running CRON jobs under Security Requirements

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 00:47:00 +0800

How do you run CRON jobs {Online Backups, DB Monitoring} on Database Servers when IT Security / SOX requirements state that

  1. No userid-password pairs are to be kept in plain-text in any files
  2. connect / as sysdba is not to be used

I can handle a) with CRON jobs running under the "oracle" account with "connect / as sysdba"
at the beginning of SQL scripts. I can handle b) if I hard code a userid/password with the
appropriate privileges. How do I handle both requirements ?

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital