RE: Slow read on OCFS Windows

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 14:40:18 -0400

Steve,
Didn't know they had ocfs for Windows!?

I use (have only used) ocfs on Linux.
It works, but is IMHO much slower than EXT3 and RAW.

>>Can anyone confirm if this copy attempt is expected behavior
What do you mean by "copy".
In the OCFS-Linux world "copy" can not / should not be done by "cp" but rather by using the o_direct as part of the OCFS utils; cp --o_direct=yes /o04/arch/orcl/arch_orcl_T1_S136.arc /o01/arch/

--http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs/dist/documentation/RHAS_best_practices.html Copying files (i.e. cp --o_direct ..., dd o_direct=yes ..., tar --o_direct ...) from an OCFS partition requires the application of fileutils and tar patches that provide direct_io write capability. o_direct enabled versions of these utilities are available from MetaLink (http://metalink.oracle.com) as patches:

---OTN
Update on OCFS
by Wim Coekaerts

When the database opens a file on OCFS, it opens it with an extra flag, O_DIRECT. When a file on any node is opened with O_DIRECT, regular file access is not allowed. Attempting a cp, an md5sum, or a dd through the standard OS tools will fail with -EPERM. If you want to be able to use cp or dd while the database is up and running—to make a hot backup, for instance—you need to download updated fileutils packages or use RMAN.

These updated fileutils—cp, dd, and the like—take an option, o_direct=yes, that makes the tool also use 0_direct when opening the file.

Using O_direct makes the filesystem perform better. If you want to use dd or cp, you should also add a large blocksize; the ideal size for OCFS is between 512K and 1MB. For example:

dd o_direct=yes if=/ocfs/foo of=/backup/foo.bak bs=1M

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA
HEYMONitor™ - heymonitor.com