Re: Does this happen to you at work?

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 12:30:41 +0100

On 5/10/05, Oracle <all_about_oracle_at_hotpop.com> wrote:
> and most of database name under my care is either orcl or prod
>=20

Oh, joy. =20

Yeah, I've got that problem where I work. Databases (indeed servers as well) tended to be set up by people in the local departments they tended to just give them what ever name made sense to them not thinking that maybe someone from outside that department might have to support them some day.

We've got a lot of databases with names like prod, test, uat &c along with a fair few named marvin, ford, zaphod, thomas, fatcon, rover, pugwash, blackpig &c. We do have a standard for naming servers but that's not helpful as it was designed by someone who only dealt with file and print servers scattered accross a geographically diverse organisation so the name relates to where the server is, not what it does. The upshot of this (coupled with the frequent office moves) is that from a server name you cannot tell what it does, which application it supports or where it is now but you do know where it was when it was initially built.

I'm currently in the process of putting together a standards document for Oracle databases and am including a passage stating that databases shall have meaningful names relating to their purpose.

Stephen

--=20