Re: Oracle ASM

From: mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 20:52:38 -0400

Hi,

On 5/9/05, Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi

>=20

> Did anybody tried to use expdp with ASM
>=20
> I am looking to store Expdp dumpfile in one of the ASM storage. Is it pos=
sible. I am getting an error and here what is been tried
  1. What version are you running? I think K.Gopal's reply means 10gR2 might have the feature to store new datafiles types in ASM. Or, maybe he means an minor version upgrade of 10gR1, but I don't know for sure.
  2. I have not tried the 'directory' option on the expdp command line. I have only exported using expdb to the filesystem from ASM. The command line option I had trouble with was 'exclude', as in exclude schema, for impdp. It would be very funny if the version K.Gopal means would allow us to expdp files into ASM but not impdp files out of ASM. ;-)

Rather than use the command line, I wrote impdp API code and found bad errors until I upgraded to 10.1.0.4. That's why I'm asking what version.

3) Have you tried the expdp API instead of command line? I don't expect it to work different with respect to storing export files in ASM (at least through 10.1.0.4) but I'm curious if you get the same errors.

To help me get started with impdp API I generated my initial scripts with EM-DBConsole. The scripts generated by EM-DBConsole for impdp exclude were broken (EM does not have exclude schema option, but something close). The API code was easy to fix (excluded schema's were included, so I switched the code to 'not in' and it worked with 10.1.0.4). Some EM programmer thought that naming a function 'exclude' but then doing 'schema in (list...)' would exclude rather than 'schema not in (list...)'. Doh.

Fortunately, you get to review the code EM generates and cut and paste into a script to fix on your own. :-)

Good luck

Regards,

Mike Thomas