RE: "Dual-Core" CPUs & the future of software licensing

From: Marquez, Chris <cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 18:14:54 -0400

Dick,
Good comments...I agree with you in concept, but do think you "desired" prices are a bit low. And I do think Oracle is closer or getting close to that price point, but not with the full featured version or CPU restrictions. Maybe and probably Oracle could make their low entry SEO option initial acquisition price even less. Again, remember that after yr 1 Oracle Support & Maintenance renewal is looking very good for the "small fry", even compared to Support from Open Source vendors!

And the truth is that this hardware is not so "small fry"...you can do a ton more with 1 or 2 CPU now a days...even the "big frys" buy the cheap hardware and run it hard!

>>$1000 Dell Server

Impossible from the "a la carte" hardware vendor! Talk about bait-and-switch...man.
 ;o)

Chris

From: Marquez, Chris [mailto:cmarquez_at_collegeboard.org] Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 11:48 AM
To: Goulet, Dick; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: "Dual-Core" CPUs & the future of software licensing

>>A cpu = a core

So a "dual-core" = two CPU?
And Oracle says so...wow?
This is going to be a problem for many.

>>Uncle Larry seems more interested in the big dollar
>>items leaving the small fry to other vendors.

Couldn't disagree more.
I would a agree as one said in another thread that Oracle missed the "small fry" boat, but that boat can be turned around and has been for a while now. Money talks and many want to ignore that Oracle can be licensed for about $800 for 5 user license. Please don't come back and tell me that thats only two CPU, and only 5 users, and only, and only....Or if you must, please define "small fry" both server and company size...everyone will have different definitions.

Again, Dell is pre-configuring 1 and 2 CPU boxes with Oracle installed and you pay for it all through Dell...Dell it not doing this alone and Oracle knows that Dell is the biggest "Small Fry" vendor...why is this continually ignored...confuses me?

Finally what is your take on Standard Edition One...is it not real? Is it not true? Can it not be purchased?

How cheep does Oracle have to be for you all to consider it a "Small Fry" option...be specific...and please don't say you want Oracle for $5k for your million dallor IBM-Regatta, your Sun-E1000, or your HP-SupperDome attached to your million dallor SAN/NAS...I don't want to hear it.

I think in my future post I will just include links and quotes for current SEO pricing...many of you seem not to be able to find it.

 ;o)

Chris