RE: true definition of a transaction

From: Leslie Tierstein <leslie.tierstein_at_visionchain.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 14:14:30 -0700

In a data warehouse, "transaction" is typically used to indicate the lowest level of granularity of a base fact table. For example, I'm in the process of writing a paper in which I included a sentence like:

The main fact table, for Point of Sale (POS) data, is aggregated to the level of Item-Store-Date - we do not receive individual transactions.=20

So, a transaction could be in a 1:1 correspondence with a row of a fact table maintained at the txn level of granularity -- which would be the case if our DW contained actual POS data. The row in the DW started life as an OLTP transaction, although, as you state, the DW DB did not actually issue any corresponding commits.

=20