RE: Suggestions for monitoring tools?

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_quadtechworld.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 13:57:06 -0500

Oracle's EM 10g (10.1.0.2.0) Grid Control is fine. Here's what you can expect: 1) Difficult or non-existant documentation on how to install and maintain the EM Server and Agent(s), especially the Agent on the EM Server (they need different ORACLE_HOMEs).

2) No or slow support for the tons of errors/issues you're bound to hit (e.g. ORA-1861, ORA-20242, "error = 111" and "error = 104"). Hey! There's a MetaLink forum article on ORA-20242 now! Well it took until late March 2005, but it made it there finally and the solution (not the one from Oracle Support, but the contributing user) works!

3) I'm running it on a P-IV 2.4Ghz w/1GB of memory and 1GB of swap and I've maxed out both monitoring 8 DBs across 5 hosts (7 test DBs and 1 pre-production). I need to restart it about weekly to reclaim most of the memory. One or more of the 250+ Java threads seems to have a memory leak or something. I don't have that much hair left to pull out in order to debug.

4) No support for access to DBMS_JOBs, although EM seems to use it on occasion. To access them, you'll have to use iSQL*Plus (or iSQL*Plus).

These far outweigh the niceties that EM offers, IMHO.

Gotta run. Enjoy!

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_quadtechworld.com      QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA