Re: Suggestions for monitoring tools?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 00:35:21 +0000

On 05/01/2005 05:47:35 PM, Tim Gorman wrote:

> As anyone anywhere in IT can attest, "updates" from support don't
> necessarily imply reliability. In contrast, software that is no longer
> being updated can often be considered fully debugged.

As many of us can attest, Oracle RDBMS can be considered reliable only=20 after the "terminal release" has been announced.=20

>=20

> I don't know anything about a product named "Karma", but perhaps it's now
> stable enough to rely upon?

Karma is free and very good product for monitoring databases, written by th= e now=20
long gone and forgotten member of this list, Sean Hull. I haven't seen any = posts=20
by Sean Hull since before my last pet T-Rex died.

>=20
> It "does more or less what [you] want". Matching requirements is the mos=
> important criteria, no?

Provided the set of requirements is defined. Many companies just invite the=  sales=20
force of different companies and tell them something like "impress me". Tha= t is what
the term "luser" is all about.

> Of course, if it's headed for the trash heap (or the company is about to =
be
> purchased by CA -- same thing), then maybe darker things might be afoot..=
.

Now, now, now. I'd say you don't like Unicenter and TNG? The brochures they=  have=20
are sooo pretty and CA has marvelous T-shirts.

--=20
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA