OT: Linux OS Performance Tuning

From: mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 12:09:51 -0400

Hi,

http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0131486829

This is a /new/ book on LINUX performance tuning. Some of the features described in the book require versions more recent than RHEL3 AS U4, e.g. requires vmstat version 3.2.0 or greater with kernel version greater than 2.5.70. Which is why I marked this thread OT, as I'm only using RHEL3 U2-U4 for my databases.
=20
The book specifically covers FC2, EL3, and S9.1. Mladen probably can make full use of the latest material since I think he is using the latest/greatest FC3, e.g. vmstat -p hde3 1 3. ;-)

There seem to be good details on a variety of LINUX OS tools, and some insightful comments. E.g. p181, "Other UNIXes support inblk and oublk parameters in ps, which show you the amount of disk I/O issued on behalf of a particular process. Currently, the LINUX kernel does not track the I/O of a process, so the ps tool has no way to gather this information".

One workaround describes using lsof to id all processes accessing files on a particular partition, attaching to each PID with strace and measuring I/O. Which makes me think I'd rather partition all my files explicitly, at least for testing scenarios.

Regards,

Mike Thomas