comments on forcedirectio

From: <geraldine_2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:48:04 +0000

I've read articles that encourages the use of forcedirectio on redo logs but discourages on oracle datafiles. With my limited understanding on the forcedirectio option, I believe it should be used on Oracle datafiles to eliminate double buffering. The use of forcedirectio should improve database performance. Are there any reasons why the option should not be used on Oracle datafiles? Does the use of the option depends on the type of storage array? We have 9.2.0.4 databases on SUN StorEdge T4 and NetApp.

Thanks.

Geraldine