Re: slightly OT: another free oracle resource profiler

From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 04:32:17 -0700 (PDT)

Egor,

I did not say that you never need the raw trace file. I said that you do not need a profiler tool too often :)
Tkprof is solid even with a lots of bugs and many times combined with v$ views good enough. Sometimes you need to dig into the raw trace file manually or with sed or something else.

Of course if you do not need to pay and it is easy to use tool then great.
Or even if I need to pay but have huge benefit at the customer site where I do not need to create graphs manually great.

If you have the code in your hands you are sometimes not going to need to dig very deep.
you can find out the problem even without raw trace file with just using v$ views.

Of course to get the nice graph you need tkprof or some other profiler.
To say that tkprof (from 9i) will give you the global look and feel of what the code is doing. You will immediately find out the big bad SQL's, or SQL's that are causing crazy waits.

You have the v$sesstat and v$session_event to get the a few breakpoints while you are monitoring the most critical user execution - if you can of course.

v$sql/sqlarea/sql_plan

Raw trace file is not giving me all info either. How much redo or undo I generated, other advanced stats sometimes I need to make the decision based on.

Not using binds you find out by just seeing the size of tkprof output file :)
cpu parse time stats in V$xxxstat will give you the answer.

Regards,
Zoran

Do You Yahoo!?