RE: Backup RMAN on disk and tape at the same time

From: Marquez, Chris <CMarquez_at_aarp.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:26:37 -0400

Jerome,

>>*only in the first case* will this backup to tape be known to RMAN Maybe we are disagreeing on semantics, but I agree RMAN doesn't about any backup moved from the original location...put it back though, in=20 the right place and RMAN *remembers* it, like it never left...agreed? So it is a matter of "who" and "how" it is got from tape. Other than the DBA's on this list :o) most DBA's trust their SA to restore files from tape...then the DBA begins to RESTORE.

>>RMAN backupsets to disk...then removed
>>require to mark these backupsets as 'UNAVAILABLE'
>>wouldn't be in sync with reality otherwise.

No sure about "required"...a simple "maintenance channel"=20 and some "crosscheck"ing would *find* the backupsets as=20 missing and update the controlfile and catalog accordingly.

I would bet 9 out of 10 DBA's that "RMAN Backup to Disk" never "RMAN Delete" those backups...they user "$> rm" in their RMAN shell scripts do I.

However, I did delete all my own backups from tape when using=20 Tivoli TSM/TDPO. The SA refused to delete/expire/purge Oracle=20 backups going directly to tape (they would expire anything=20 from filesystem backup...go figure?).

I had to figure out in my own scripts and RMAN commands what=20 backup to keep/retain...my RMAN and controlfile were in sync as you explained.

Back in early days I asked an author of a well know RMAN book=20 about deleting RMAN backup from Tape/MML". His response=20 "why do you want to do that...just have the MML expire your backup(sets)".

My point, most DBAs don't spend enough time on backups... ...even fewer spend any time on correctly deleting backupsets... ...you are one of the few.

Chris