RE: rm RULE based optimizer != GOOD IDEA

From: Post, Ethan <Ethan.Post_at_ps.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:46:10 -0500

I currently manage database source control for at least 50+ developers who are checking source in for 3 concurrent versions of a software application. The only way to maintain control of the situation is training and a ton of automated validation and reporting. So you would set up monitoring which would alert you to a situation in which a developer checked in anything with RULE string in it. When you get that they get an email asking for supporting evidence that this actually is the solution. A get emails for every code change that contains a link to review the diff as well as daily emails before each build which shows me all changes checked in with the last 24 hours. After a almost 2 years of this you would not believe the things I catch developers doing almost weekly and end up adding yet more logic to trap the error in the future.