RE: Backup RMAN on disk and tape at the same time

From: <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:08:53 -0400

Good advice.

Thanks Paul.=20

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Drake [mailto:bdbafh_at_gmail.com]=20 Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 11:08 AM
To: Stankus, Paula G
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Backup RMAN on disk and tape at the same time

On 4/22/05, Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us <Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us> wrote:
> No offense but the weakest link has been the sys. Admin and the tape=20
> issues. So, when I need a backup/recovery I would like to be able to=20
> get my own hands on it as soon as possible without other human=20
> intervention. That is why I would not prefer to disk - then someone=20
> copy to tape. =3D20

>=20

Paula,

I have but 2 words of advice for this:
NAS box.

run whatever backups to disk on the server: rman arch, rman db, exp, expdp, hot, cold ... compress them if you have the cpu to burn and push them up to the NAS box.
if the backup sets get to tape, great.=20 if they don't get to tape, its the SysAdmin's problem (and up the management chain that one goes).
You have your backup sets accessible on the relatively inexpensive serial ATA based server.

If they won't spring for that ... an external IDE drive connected by USB is under 1 USD per gigabyte. You might need to add in a PCI-X USB adapter to get decent performance or to support multiple devices.

I flat out do not trust network backups by sysadmins, but that's just me.

Paul

#/etc/init.d/init.cssd stop
-- f=3Dma, divide by 1, convert to moles.

BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Teach CanIt if this mail (ID 30286467) is spam: Spam:
https://dohsmsi01.doh.state.fl.us/canit/b.php?c=3Ds&i=3D30286467&m=3De783= 5aa9f
3ab
Not spam:
https://dohsmsi01.doh.state.fl.us/canit/b.php?c=3Dn&i=3D30286467&m=3De783= 5aa9f