RE: rm RULE based optimizer != GOOD IDEA

From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 06:40:08 -0700 (PDT)

What will be the life of one Oracle DBA/Developer without the cost based optimizer?

The cost based optimizer make things more interesting.

The outcome of that optimizer is, what Oracle saying, just write SQL whatever way, our optimizer will do the rest. He is smart, the best, just give us proper statistics. Of course that proper statistics are not possible to describe in one big book. You need to find out how to collect them, how to not harm them and so on.

This is the way 1000 of developers in Oracle has enough work to do, 10000 of DBA's to do tuning in much more interesting way and so on.

I spent last few weeks fighting with the CBO optimizer, tweaking the statistics, forcing it to do the best, then at the end putting the simple hint solving the issue.

But you cannot compare the pleasure of solving the problem CBO way and easy pragmatic hint way :)

It is the way choosen by Oracle we need all to follow and nothing else.

I am still trying to do my best with CBO, but it looks Oracle will need a lot of hints for a long time. They are getting rid of hints from release 8 without success, as me saying I am leaving IT work for many years.

Do You Yahoo!?