Re: RMAN via EM nowork after patch applied

From: mhthomas <>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:13:10 -0400

Good point. I don't often use templates. In this case I dbca created an entirely new database, and adjusted the parameters as needed. Do I need to run catpatch on a new dbca database created from scratch after s/w patch? I hope not, because the new db (created from scratch) has got 0 invalid objects and its looking good already. :-)

I'm running impdp API for datapump (requires with an 'exclude schema' option. There is actually an 'exclude' command in impdp command line, but no 'exclude' in API metadata_filter, rather you can only 'NOT IN ('schema'...)' with same effect.

The problem was EM directory left under db_1 home after> patch with same name as new dbca database. Hosed my setup. I dropped the EM directory, dropped new database files from ASM and OS, and created again from scratch. Its working now and we closed the TAR. However, the EM analyst said I still needed to run the following on my new dbca database created /after/ patch:

Note: Patch (only) has a few extra EM steps regarding TZ.
These steps are required after new dbca install, as suggested
by OEM analyst from Oracle in followup to our TAR 4394490.995.
TZ=3DEST5EDT; export TZ
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/emctl stop dbconsole    {already shutdown?, check}
$ORACLE_HOME/bin/emctl resetTZ agent
sqlplus SYSMAN/sysman_password
exec mgmt_target.set_agent_tzrgn('pilot.calgb:1830','EST5EDT')
emctl start dbconsole

Thanks, pd.=20

Mike Thomas