Re: Universal database interface?

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:12:58 +0100

I had to ponder this for a few moments, as I too am a proponent of using a stored procedure API.
I think this is somewhat different than the proposal in the article.

When I read that it just screamed 'the database is a black box'.

The use of an Oracle API implement in PL/SQL is a sound idea.

The use of an all encompassing database independent API reminds me of the recent Java thread on this list. SQL is generated with disregard to the platform. Often (no, usually) without bind variables.

Something else Tom Kyte is fond of saying: ( paraphrased )

You should exploit the features of Oracle and quit trying to make your application platform independent. You paid for the features, you should use them.

Jared

--
Jared Still